Popularly known as RMD, Richard Mofe-Damijo is a veteran in the Nigerian movie industry, starting out his career as an actor in the TV series Ripples which was popular in the 80s. He was born in Aladja community of Udu Kingdom, near Warri, Delta State.
Although he has appeared in less than 100 movies, which is relatively small compared to his popular counterparts, the actor has played almost any role you can think of – except being god in a movie. The sexagenarian, sometimes referred to as Nollywood’s finest grandpa, is also a good (okay not so good) dancer and fashionista.
RMDTheActor, as he fondly tags himself, has his own unique fragrance brand which he launched recently at his 60th birthday. The brand is called Timeless by RMD, he hopes users get a feel of what his time has been like over the years. Watch the launch below.
Early Life & Education
RMD attended Midwest College in Warri and Anglican Grammar School. He has always been fond of acting and was a member of his school’s Drama Club. He enrolled into the University of Benin to continue his education and studied Theatre Arts.
Richard Mofe-Damijo worked for a while as a reporter for Concord Newspaper and Metro Magazine. He served as Former Commissioner of Culture and Tourism in Delta state (for two tenures) from 2009 to 2015. This is after a previous appointment as Special Adviser of Culture and Tourism.
He remarried Jumobi Adegbesan after the death of his former wife May Ellen-Ezekiel (MEE) in 1996. He has four children.
Quick Facts & Nuggets
- He is a board member of Purple Girl Foundation (a charitable NGO empowering girls)
- Worked as a journalist and served in government before 2016
- He wrote and produced the 1997 movie “Out of Bounds”
- His charitable activities makes him a UN influencer
- RMD is a Writer, Producer, Lawyer, PR Consultant, Life-Coach, Public speaker, Master of ceremony
- The actor has been a Sunday school teacher for more than 13 years now
- RMD was part of the actors banned in the G8 ban (Nigerian film marketers)
- The actor’s dream role is to play god
- The actor is a grandfather with 2 grandchildren
- Eye color: Brown
- Hair color: Black
- Years active: 1980 to present
- Real Name: Richard Mofe-Damijo
- Nationality: Nigerian
- Gender: Male
- Zodiac sign: Gemini
- Date of Birth: 6 July 1961
- Education: University of Benin, University of Lagos
- Best Food: Beans and Fried Plantain
- The owns a unique fragrance called “Timeless by RMD”
- Hush (2016 – 2017)
- Castle & Castle (2019)
- The Mr X Family Show (Running)
- Diamond Ring (1998)
- The Mayors (2004)
- Critical Assignment
- 30 Days in Atlanta (2014)
- Oloibiri (2015)
- Three Wise Men (2016)
- Hush (2016/17)
- The Wedding Party (2016)
- 10 Days in Sun City (2017)
- Merry Men (2018)
- Chief Daddy (2018)
Richard Mofe-Damijo Notable Awards
- Africa Movie Academy Award, Best Actor in a Leading Role, 2005
- 2012 Best of Nollywood Awards Special Recognition, 2012
- 12th Africa Movie Academy Awards Lifetime Achievement Awards, 2016
Richard Mofe-Damijo Brands and Endorsement Deal
He recently launched a fragrance brand called Timeless by RMD, he is the founder and CEO of RMD productions – the company in charge of his latest TV show “The Mr X Family Show”.
The celebrity also represents big brands like LG, Schweppes, Airopay and Autocheck. He has also represented telecoms giant, Globacom.
Richard Mofe-Damijo Net Worth
He is reported to be worth $7 million by nigerianinfopedia. He owns a BMW 4 Series Coupé that was acquired for ₦19.8 million. You’ll also find a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado in his collection, alongside a 2016 Range Rover Sport that was acquired for ₦21 million.
His other vehicles include, a Mercedes-Benz GLE 550 which is estimated at around ₦24.7 million, a Lexus LX570 which he got for ₦42.2 million and a 2014 Toyota Highlander which costs approximately ₦17 million.
The veteran actor also owns a property in the Omole Phase 1 estate of Lagos state.
On days when I’m low and wondering where the next big thing is coming from, I am reminded that getting here in the first place was not by anything special I did but having enough COURAGE to believe in God and letting him lead me every step of the way. Dare to have that courage to be OBEDIENT to God’s leading.