On Friday, an Upper Area Court in Karu, Abuja, remanded one Shedrach Johnson in custody for stealing plastic chairs from a church.
Johnson, who resides in Gidan Daya, Orozo, Abuja, was charged with criminal trespass and stealing from the church.
Malam Hassan Mohammed, the judge, delayed sentencing and adjourned the case to March 24.
The offender was remanded at Keffi Correctional Institution, according to Mohammed.
Earlier, Mr Olarewaju Osho, the prosecution counsel, informed the court that the case was reported by Pastor Uche Eke of Gidan Daya, Orozo Abuja.
Osho testified in court that the defendant broke into the complainant’s church and took 100 plastic chairs and three bottles of water.
During the police inquiry, he said, the criminal was apprehended with the assistance of security guards, and three plastic chairs and a bottle of water were retrieved from him.
Johnson entered a guilty plea but asked for mercy.
In other news, Gunmen have reportedly kidnapped Agbor Onyi, the deputy governorship candidate of the Young Peoples Party (YPP), in Cross River.
Confirming the abduction on Friday, Irene Ugbo, police spokesperson in the state, said Onyi was kidnapped alongside three other persons while travelling to north Cross River for Saturday’s election.
The development comes some hours before the governorship and the state house of assembly elections which will be held on March 18.
NAN reports that Ugbo said the incident occurred on Thursday at the Calabar-Ogoja highway.
She said Imojara Imojara, an assistant superintendent of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) was among the persons abducted.
“The victims were travelling in a Toyota Corolla when the kidnappers stopped the vehicle and took them away into the forest,” Ugbo said.
“One of the occupants, Mrs Sandara Egbung, is the wife of an aide to Gov. Ben Ayade.
“The commissioner of police in charge of the election has directed that drastic action should be taken. It is being worked on. Let us hope and pray that before Saturday, everything will be fine.”
The police spokesperson assured that the command will continue to work to ensure the kidnapped persons are released.
However, NAN reports that a source confirmed that the abductors had earlier demanded N60 million ransom which has now been reduced to N40 million.