How to Get the Tech Nation Global Talent Visa [Free Templates Video]
Hey Guys! My name is Isaac.
Earlier this year, I got endorsed by The Tech Nation as an Exceptional Promise in Digital Technology for the United Kingdom’s Global Talent Visa (GTV). Trust me, I’m still trying to contain my excitement because I love the UK and what it stands for, particularly the strong tech community!
I was endorsed based on my innovative contributions to the Nigerian Digital Tech sector and the potential contributions of my talent to the UK digital economy. If I can do it, you can too.
So, in this article and the video below, I’ll take you through my journey and the practical process of how to successfully secure your Global Talent Visa too.
What is the UK Tech Nation Global Talent Visa?
The Tech Nation Visa, officially known as the Global Talent Visa, enables exceptional tech talent from any country in the world to settle, live and work in the UK’s digital technology sector, contributing their talent, expertise and innovation to the UK’s digital economy.
Tech Nation is the endorsing body authorized by the Home Office to assess endorsement applications from people with expertise in digital technology who want to come to the UK under the Global Talent visa.
Tech Nation visa is a Tier 1 visa created for applicants with technical skill or business skills in the digital technology sector.
- Technical applicants must demonstrate proven technical expertise with the latest technologies in building, using, deploying or exploiting a technology stack and building technical infrastructure, in a product-led tech company.
- Business applicants must demonstrate a proven commercial, investment, or product expertise in building digital products or leading investments in significant digital product businesses, in a product-led tech company.
Here’s the summary of the entire process in two stages: You apply for endorsement from Tech Nation (Evidences, Personal statement, Recommendation). Once successful, you use your Tech Nation endorsement letter to apply for the Global Talent visa at the UK Home Office. That’s all.
What are the examples of Technical Skills for the UK Tech Nation Global Talent Visa?
DevOps / SysOps engineers
Principal software engineers/developers
Experienced data scientists/data engineers
Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language
Processing and Machine Learning experts (AI, NLP, ML)
Experienced front-end developers
Operating systems engineers
Experienced video game developers
Experienced UX/UI designers
Experienced Mobile App developers
Experienced back end developers leading development of, or contributing heavily to major new technologies or open-source projects (e.g. blockchain, Scala, Golang, Elasticsearch etc)
CTO or VP engineering experience managing teams of in-house employees at a growing digital business
Virtual and augmented reality developers
What are the examples of Business Skills for the UK Tech Nation Global Talent Visa?
Experience of leading substantial VC investment over £25m GBP
Experience as a commercial/business lead (P&L, growth, sales and distribution strategy) in a digital business
Experience of expanding or growing a significant product-led digital technology business
Sector-specific experience e.g. payment infrastructure in FinTech / international expansion in EdTech etc.
Solution sales experts
Experienced Product Manager
SaaS or enterprise sales leadership for digital services
Solution sales skills performed for a growing B2B digital business (i.e. not big-company experience)
Performance marketing experts, performed in house for digital businesses
Experienced and senior VC or PE analysts with track records of leading investments in digital businesses
Experience as C Suite in a SMEs + (CEO, CMO, CIO) or head of operations for a digital business
What is the role played by Endorsing Bodies?
In order to be considered for entry through Global Talent visa, applicants must have an endorsement from one of six endorsing bodies selected by the Home Office. If your application is endorsed, the final immigration decision will be made by the Home Office.
The Home Office will refer your application to Royal Society or UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), the British Academy, Royal Academy of Engineering if you are applying for endorsement in the fields of medicine, science, engineering, the social sciences or the humanities, or other academic and research roles. These bodies will make an endorsement decision based on the information you give.
What are the Benefits of the UK Tech Nation Global Talent Visa?
- Job or salary range not required
- No IELTS test
- No age limit (18+)
- Lower visa fees
- Fast endorsement process
- Freedom to switch jobs and grow your career
- Move with family
- Convert to Citizenship afterward
Successful applicants of Global Talent Visa can live and work in the UK for up to 5 years and later they can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and eventually for British Citizenship.
What are the requirements for the UK Global Talent Visa?
- Work in Product-Led Tech company (Not consulting or agency).
- Evidences: Mandatory (1), Optional (choose 2 of 4). Show evidence of skills, innovation, impact, abilities, achievements, impact
- Mandatory Criteria: Simply demonstrate that you have been recognised as (or recognised as having the potential to be) a leading talent in the digital technology sector?
- Optional Criteria: Simply demonstrate that you have a proven track record or examples of innovation in the digital technology sector as a founder or senior executive of a product-led digital technology company or an employee working in a new digital field or concept?
What are the two types of Criteria for the UK Global Talent Visa?
There are two options for applicants applying for endorsement by Tech Nation – Leader (called ‘exceptional talent’) or Emerging leader (called ‘exceptional promise’).
Exceptional promise applicants are likely to be earlier in their career, usually with less than 5 years of experience. As an applicant evidencing EXCEPTIONAL TALENT, you must show that they have been recognised as a leading talent in the digital technology sector
And provide evidence of 2 of the following:
- A proven track record for innovation as a founder or senior executive of a product-led digital technology company or as an employee working on a new digital field or concept
- proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field
- they have made significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder, senior executive, board member or employee of a product-led digital technology company
- they have demonstrated exceptional ability in the field by academic contributions through research published or endorsed by an expert.
Exceptional Talent applicants are those with over five years relevant experience. An applicant evidencing EXCEPTIONAL PROMISE must show they have been recognised as having potential to be a leading talent in the digital technology field
And provide evidence of 2 of the following:
- at least 1 example of innovation as a founder of a product-led digital technology company or as an employee working on a new digital field or concept
- at least 1 example of proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field
- at least 1 example of significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder or employee of a product-led digital technology company
- at least 1 example of exceptional ability in the field by academic contributions through research endorsed by an expert.
What is the success rate of Global Talent Visa in digital technology?
In the digital technologies category, the Endorsement rates for the Global Talent Visa for exceptional talent or promise are roughly 50% – 60% which means, only one in two applicants is successful.
How do I write Recommendation Letters for the Global Talent Visa?
This is where you leverage your relationships. For me, I got two top tech leaders in Nigeria to write for me. 1000 words, 3 pages. A sample of my successful recommendation letter and evidence document is shown in the video above.
What should be mentioned in this letter of recommendations?
The letter of personal recommendation must be written by an eminent person in your field whose work is internationally recognised. The person must be aware of your work and your contribution to your field and qualified to examine your claim of Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise. It should be dated and include:
Your contributions or achievements in the respective field;
how, in the viewpoint of the eminent person, you demonstrate Exceptional Talent;
how can you benefit from living in the UK; and
how the eminent person recognizes you;
the contribution you can make in research excellence for the welfare of society
Please remember that the letter of recommendation should be as detailed as possible. It will help in defining why the referee thinks you fulfill the criteria for Exceptional Talent or Promise.
Your letter of personal recommendation should be detailed and well written by an individual with internationally recognised expertise in the applicant’s field. The person must be aware of your work and your contribution to your field and qualified to examine your claim of Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise. It should be dated and include:
- the impact you’ve made within and outside your field
- Your long-term plan and contribution to the UK digital economy
How do I write my Personal Statement for the Global Talent Visa?
Leverage storytelling to share your journey, from start to finish within 1000 words, 3 pages. Make it memorable, inspiring, irresistible and sweet.
How much is the Application Fee for the Global Talent Visa
The Main Applicant would have to pay £456 in stage one of their endorsement application and £152 for their stage 2 Visa application plus £624 per year per person OR £470 per year per child under 18 years old for Immigration Health Surcharge. If bringing any dependents with them then they additionally have to pay £608 for all of them.
When do I get feedback from Tech Nation?
The Home Office will inform you if you have been successful in receiving an endorsement from Tech Nation. If you are successfully endorsed, you can proceed to apply for the visa (Stage 2). If not, you can resubmit after the first refusal.
Tech Nation Global Talent Visa Stage 2 Application Process
What documentation do you need to provide when applying for a Global Talent visa at the Home Office?
- Your endorsement letters
- A current passport or other valid travel documentation
- Your tuberculosis test results if you come from a country where you are required to take the test. You can book your test here.
- Immigration health surcharge (£624 per year per person) and the application fee
Tech Nation Global Talent Visa Processing Timeline?
While the application for endorsement usually takes up to 28 days to be processed, the visa application can take up to three weeks if you are applying from outside the UK and up to eight weeks if you are applying from within the UK.
However, digital technology applicants may apply to have their endorsement application fast-tracked under certain prescribed circumstances.
If you have any questions or need me to touch on any other areas regarding the global talent visa, simply drop me a comment and I’ll certainly do the needful. You can also ask direct questions in