Connect with us


BREAKING: FG reveals when Lagos-Kano rail line will be ready for operations



BREAKING: FG reveals when Lagos-Kano rail line will be ready for operations

Saidu Alkali, the minister of transportation, has said freight services on the Lagos-Kano narrow gauge project will begin in June 2024.

As the Voice of Nigeria reports, Alkali visited the Kano-Maradi train route on Thursday, May 9.

This is even as the firm handling the project, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC), reported that the train line has been hooked up to Zawaciki Dala Dry Port in the industrial city of Kano, Leadership newspaper noted.

Speaking on the upcoming start of freight operations, minister Alkali stated that it would preserve the lifespan of Nigeria’s roads as well as save more Nigerians from dying in auto crashes.

His words:

“This is the second leg of my inspection since I took over as the minister of transportation and the essence of the inspection is to see by myself with a team from the ministry of transportation and engineers from the railway corporation and the consultant and the contractors, so that we ensure compliance in term of time.”

TopNaija understands that the ministry of transportation secured $1.3 billion to finish the Kano-Katsina-Jibiya-Maradi rail project.

This funding marks a significant development in finishing this important infrastructure, strengthening the socio-economic ties between Nigeria and Niger.

The FG stated that 85 per cent of the funds will be given by CCECC, with the Nigerian government providing the remaining 15 per cent.

Fenton is a talented and experienced news and entertainment writer at TopNaija, passionate about sharing stories that matter. With a keen eye for detail and a talent for crafting engaging and compelling content, he has built a strong reputation as a reliable and insightful writer. Fenton is a dedicated and talented writer committed to producing high-quality content that is informative, entertaining, and engaging.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *