UK launches India Young Professionals Scheme visa | How to apply
The United Kingdom government has launched a new program called the India Young Professionals Scheme, which offers Indian citizens aged between 18 and 30 the opportunity to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years.
This is a reciprocal cultural exchange program similar to the existing Youth Mobility Scheme.
The India Young Professionals Scheme requires applicants to have a qualification at a bachelor’s degree level or above, or an equivalent overseas qualification at degree level or above. Unlike the Youth Mobility Scheme, which has no qualification requirements.
Eligibility requirements for the India Young Professionals Scheme visa:
- Be an Indian citizen
- Be between 18 and 30 years old
- Have an eligible qualification
- Have at least £2,530 in savings
Documents you’ll need to provide for the India Young Professionals Scheme visa:
- Valid passport or equivalent identification document
- Evidence of at least £2,530 in your bank account
- Evidence of your qualifications (a qualification at UK bachelor’s degree level or above (Regulated Qualifications Framework level 6, 7 or 8)
- Tuberculosis (TB) test results (if applicable)
- Police report or clearance certificate from India
- A blank page in your passport for your visa.
- You’ll also need to provide written confirmation from your college or university that you completed your studies and graduated with the required qualification. Additionally, if your documents are not in English or Welsh, you’ll need to provide a certified translation. The Home Office may require additional documents depending on your individual circumstances.
See the full list of eligibility requirements HERE.
How do I apply for the UK launches India Young Professionals Scheme visa?
Here are the steps to follow when applying for the India Young Professionals Scheme visa:
1. Ballot system: ‘Invitation to apply’ arrangements are in place for the new scheme, which means hopeful applicants must be selected in a ballot before they can apply for their visa. The first ballot for the 2023 India Young Professionals Scheme is set to open on 28 February, with 2,400 visas available. You can apply by clicking HERE.
2. Application process: If you’re successful in the ballot, you’ll need to apply online for your visa by the deadline given in your invitation to apply. It costs £259 to apply for an India Young Professionals visa, and applicants will also need to pay a £940 Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). As part of your application, you’ll need to prove your identity, provide certain documents to support your application, and prove that you have at least £2,530 in your bank account. You’ll also need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application center, or use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document. Apply HERE.
3. Permitted activities: If your visa application is successful, you’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months. You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay. While in the UK on an India Young Professionals Scheme visa, you can study, work in most jobs, and be self-employed and set up a company.
4. Restrictions: You cannot extend your stay, apply for most benefits, include family members on your application, or work as a professional sportsperson.
The India Young Professionals Scheme offers a unique opportunity for Indian citizens to experience life and work in the UK. If you’re eligible, you should follow the application process carefully and make sure to meet all the requirements. With a successful application, you could be on your way to an exciting new adventure in the UK.