2017 was indeed a phenomenal year. The back to back hits in the Nigerian musical industry and how Nigerian artists have shown the continent that we are the first to reckon with internationally. In lieu of this, We have decided to drop our five Nigerian musical hits in 2017 and we hope you enjoy!
- Wo – Olamide || Aug 7, 2017 Many people will tell you Wo is the biggest song of 2017, and they won’t be far from the truth. Olamide has consistently dropped hit songs every year since he became popular, so everyone was wondering what he was going to drop in 2017. After struggling a bit in 2016 (by Olamide standards), he switched up his sound on Wavy Level produced by Adey Ogunlesi, but it didn’t bang. He then returned to Young Jon and they made magic. Accompanied by the viral #WoChallenge, Wo immediately became a monster hit – that song they play at parties, clubs, carnivals and concerts to get everybody hyped. It also mainstreamed ‘shaku-shaku’, the new dance everybody is now mad about. So, yeah, definitely the biggest dance song of 2017.
- If by Davido dropped on Feb 17, 2017
Written and produced by Tekno, Davido’s first single in 2017 was also his biggest – in terms of sales, YouTube views (56.7million) and longevity on charts. The very catchy “30 billion for the account” line became pop-culture lingua and inspired his sold-out 30 Billion World Tour that berthed at the Eko Convention Center in December, 2017.
3. Joromi – Simi dropped on Aug 11, 2017
While Tiwa Savage and Niniola were fantastic in 2017, Simi definitely stole our hearts with her scintillating vocals, slow-groovy music, and brilliant album. But this is about Joromi, her chart-topping single – a song about greenlight and subtle ways Nigerian women signal interest in men. The video was hilarious and received heavy rotation on music TV stations as well.
4. Yeba – Kiss Daniel dropped on Sep 20, 2017
Yeba was Kiss Daniel’s last song for G-Worldwide Entertainment, before he left them, and it was a massive hit. Even with the ‘uncle please stop touching’ line that sparked some controversy, everybody still loved and danced to ‘e e eee, yeba’. Rather unfortunate that he didn’t get to (co-) headline shows, perform this song, and make a ton of money during the last Yuletide because of his label issues.
5. Something Light – Falz ft YCee dropped on Aug 18, 2017
2017 was a brilliant year for Falz The Bhad Guy. He dropped Jeje, La Fete, and a critically acclaimed album titled 27. He also held his first concert at the Eko Hotel Convention Center, and it was sold out. But the reason he is on this list is because of Something Light, the massive tune he featured YCee on. The hilarious video, featuring Instagram Comediennes, Maraji and Wofai was also heavily rotated on Music TV stations.