Nigeria Decides 2023: Update On The Senatorial Elections
In the just-concluded Nigerian Senatorial elections, various candidates vied for seats in the upper legislative chamber of the National Assembly. Here are some of the results:
- Former All Progressives Congress National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, won the Edo North Senatorial Seat, defeating the incumbent Francis Alimikhena of the Peoples Democratic Party.
- President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, won the senatorial election for Yobe North, in Yobe State, defeating his closest rival, Bello Ilu of the Peoples Democratic Party.
- In Katsina State, the APC won all three senatorial seats, with Abdulaziz Yar’adua winning Katsina Central and Nasir Zangon-Daura winning Daura Senatorial District.
- PDP’s Mustafa Habeeb won Jigawa Central, while APC retained Jigawa North-West and Jigawa North-East with Babangida Husaini and Ahmed Malam-Madori, respectively.
- The PDP won two out of three senatorial districts in Gombe State, while the APC won the Gombe Central senatorial district.
- Senator Ifeanyi Ubah of the Young Progressives Party retained his seat in the Anambra South Senatorial District, defeating his closest rival, Chris Azubogu of the All Progressives Grand Alliance.
- PDP’s Ned Nwoko won Delta North Senatorial District, while LP’s Darlington Nwokocha won Abia Central.
- PDP’s Khalid Mustapha won Kaduna North senatorial seat, defeating the incumbent senator, Suleiman Kwari of the APC.
- Senators Ishaku Abbo and Binos Yaroe, who represent Adamawa Northern and Southern senatorial districts in the National Assembly, respectively, have been re-elected to the Senate for a second term.
- Ebonyi State Governor, David Umahi, won the Ebonyi South Senatorial District, while the LP’s candidate in the Edo South Senatorial District, Neda Imasuen, won with 167,250 votes.
- SDP’s Aliyu Wadada won Nasarawa West Senatorial District, while former governor of Nasarawa State and senator representing Nasarawa South Senatorial District, Umaru Al-Makura, lost his re-election bid to PDP’s Mohammed Onawo.
- NNPP’s Kawu Sumaila won Kano South Senatorial District, defeating Senator Kabiru Gaya of the APC.
These are some of the highlights of the senatorial elections in Nigeria. The results show a mix of victories for both the ruling All Progressives Congress and the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, as well as other political parties.