Tragedy struck in Lagos State during election, as a hypertensive man, Simon Maduekwe, died from shock after suspected political thugs invaded his residence on Fatomi Crescent, Off Bajulaiye Compound, Shomolu.

The thugs were reportedly after a yet-to-be-identified man who was using his mobile phone to capture their violent actions at one of the polling units in the area during the governorship and state House of Assembly elections.

According to Maduekwe’s son, Chuka, his father had already cast his vote and returned home when one of the thugs saw a resident taking photos with his phone and raised an alarm.

The thugs chased after the man, who ran into Maduekwe’s residence in a bid to escape.

The sight of the thugs chasing after the man reportedly frightened Maduekwe, who was not aware of the situation.

He thought the thugs were there to attack him for voting against their preferred candidate and slumped at the sight of them coming towards him.

Maduekwe’s son explained that his father had a history of hypertension and the shock he suffered from the invasion and the sight of the thugs caused his blood pressure to skyrocket.

He said, “My dad had gone to vote as early as 8am because the polling unit was in front of our compound on Fatomi Crescent, Off Bajulaiye Compound, Somolu, Lagos State.

“That morning, there was noise at the polling unit as suspected thugs were threatening people to vote for their party, and scaring away those not willing to do their bidding. We also heard them shouting at a particular guy making a video of them.

“When they sighted the guy, they started chasing him, so he ran straight into our compound, and into our apartment. My dad was standing at the door and as the guy and the thugs ran towards him, he collapsed.

“Immediately, we tried to revive him but couldn’t, so, we rushed him to the Somolu General Hospital and a nurse confirmed to us that he was dead. My dad had high blood pressure and has not been doing business for over a year as we have been doing all to keep him alive but he died because of the incident during the election.”

Chuka, while lamenting over the incident, said his mother had been traumatised by the development.

“My family have been mourning over the incident. My mum is just trying to get hold of what happened, we never anticipated that this election will take him away from us,” he said.

Samson Duru, an eyewitness, characterized Maduekwe, 68, as a calm man who constantly counseled youngsters against illegal actions during the election time, adding that the dead was among those warning the thugs against messing with the voting process in the region.

He said, “The man was shouting at one of the thugs to leave the polling unit and allow people to vote for the candidate of their choice before he left for his house. The whole incident happened some minutes after. He is such a peaceful man who does not like trouble; I pray that his family will be able to bear their loss.”

Contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said,” I am not aware of that incident.”