Traders at the Olowu Spare Parts Market in Ikeja, Lagos State, have suffered a devastating loss after a fire outbreak ravaged the market.
According to reports, the fire outbreak occurred in the early hours of Thursday and consumed 19 shops with goods worth millions of naira destroyed.
The incident was brought under control after the timely intervention of emergency responders, including the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Services.
Amodu Shakiri, the spokesperson for the agency, revealed that the Ikeja Fire Station received a distress call at about 3:19 am and immediately dispatched firefighters to the scene.
He said, “We got there in three minutes of the call time. Unfortunately, we lost 19 shops. The owners of the shops along the street all trade in combustible materials. Most of them are condensers for refrigerators, air conditioners and the like.
“All these are volatile combustibles. It aided the widespread of the fire but we were able to curtail it in time so that we did not record further losses.
“We also asked Alausa Station to join us. Despite the combustibles that were involved, there was no injury because the traders were not around.”
According to report, some of the traders rushed to the fire scene early in the morning to salvage remnants of their goods.
Shakiri, however, attributed the fire to power disruption.
He said, “The cause is basically negligence because some people probably left their electronics on before they left the shop or maybe as a result of power disruption.
“People are advised to always switch off their electronic devices and installations. It should also be unplugged from the wall socket when closing for the day.”
The Coordinator of the Lagos Territorial Office of National Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Farinloye, on his part, said the fire affected 13 shops, four warehouses and one restaurant.
He, however, said no injury or death was recorded in the fire.
Farinloye said, “A fire outbreak at Olowu Automobile Spare Parts Market was recorded early this (Thursday) morning.
“The fire disaster which was reported to have started at about 2.30am affected 13 shops, four warehouses and one restaurant.
“The Commandant 9th Brigade, Ikeja met the NEMA team while he was on an assessment visit to the scene. The cause of the fire cannot be determined as of now.
“But the Chairman of the trader association, Bassey Ikpendu while narrating the situation applauded the efforts of the State Fire Service that prevented the escalation of the incident due to the combustible materials that were involved.
“The chairman narrated that one of their apprentices slept in the building and noticed the fire but by the time he got out, the chairman said, the fire had engulfed the building and immediately fire service was contacted which responded promptly.
“No injury or death was recorded.”