Connect with us


NEWS

19 feared dead, 6 hospitalised in Ikoyi building collapse

Published

on

Collapsed Ikoyi building site

Ad

The death toll caused by the collapsed building on Gerrard road, Ikoyi, Lagos  has increased to 19 as of 06:15pm on Tuesday.

The 21-storey building collapsed around 2pm on Monday when workers were on site.

Asides the mortality recorded, the Lagos State Government said nine persons have been rescued from the rubble.
Three of the nine victims of have been discharged from the hospital while six are currently admitted.

During his visitation on Tuesday, Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, promised that Lagos State Government will take full responsibility for the treatment and medical bills of rescued victims.

He said this during his visitation to some of the rescued victims of the Ill-fated incident who are on admission at the General Hospital, Lagos.

Site of collapsed Ikoyi building

Hamzat, who spoke to pressmen after the visit, explained that nine people, all male, have so far been rescued from the debris of the building, adding that three of the rescued victims were treated and discharged on the spot while the remaining six are currently on admission receiving treatment at the Medical Emergency Unit of the General Hospital, Lagos.

Read also: Owner of Ikoyi collapsed building arrested for erecting 21 floors instead of 15

While noting that the admitted victims are responding well to treatment and doing well, the Deputy Governor noted that the injuries sustained by those presently on admission are minor injuries.

He however mentioned that some casualties of the collapsed building who were brought into the hospital dead have been deposited at the morgue.

He said, “So we have six people in here, all males, and thankfully they are doing well. The doctors have told us their state; they have minor injuries and nothing life-threatening thankfully. They are being treated and of course, as you know, the Lagos State Government is taking full responsibility for their treatment.

“We have their names and we will be getting in touch with their families. Nine people were rescued, six are here now, three people have gone home and as you know we have 10 dead bodies taken out of the place.”

Hamzat sympathised with victims, assuring them of adequate care during the course of their treatment.

Speaking in the same vein, the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Dr. Olusegun Ogboye who accompanied the Deputy Governor on the visit assured the rescued victims of quality and optimal health care service at the facility, stressing that trained medical personnel are on the ground to aid their recovery process.


Ad




💃Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💯

GET FREE Love, Sex, Marriage, Relationship and Dating Tips Now

Ad