According to reports, firemen have rescued four children and an adult trapped in a burning house on Monday evening in Kano, the spokesman for Kano State Fire Service, Saidu Mohammed, has said.
Mohammed told the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Kano that among those rescued was a two-year-old boy.
The official, however, said three of those rescued later died at the Mallam Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, where they were rushed to after being brought out of the burning building unconscious.
Mohammed said the remaining two victims were in critical conditions at the hospital.
He gave the names of the victims as: Usman Ibrahim, 2; Rukkaiya Umar, 5; Baffa Umar, 8; Al-Amin Ibrahim, 10, and Zainab Mohammed, 35.
According to him, the incident, caused by a gas cooker, occurred at Layin Gado-da-Masu, Dorayi Chiranci area of Kano.
The official said a Good Samaritan, Musa Haruna, alerted the fire service to the incident at about 6:06pm on Monday, adding that the firemen arrived the scene at 6:13pm.