Female students are invited to apply for the 2018/2019 Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program, Only eligible persons will be considered for this program and all applications must be submitted before the stated deadline
Women Techmakers Scholars will each receive a 7,000 EUR award (or local equivalent) for the 2018-2019 academic year. A group of female undergraduate and graduate students will be chosen from the applicant pool, and scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s academic background and demonstrated leadership.
Through the Women Techmakers Scholars Programme – formerly the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Programme – Google is furthering Dr. Anita Borg’s vision of creating gender equality in the field of computer science by encouraging women to excel in computing and technology and become active leaders and role models in the field.
Dr. Anita Borg devoted her adult life to revolutionizing the way we think about technology and dismantling barriers that keep women and minorities from entering computing and technology fields. She proposed the “50/50 by 2020” initiative so that women earning computing degrees would be 50% of the graduates by the year 2020. However, the percentage of Computer Science degrees earned by women is still far from 50% throughout the world.
As part of Google’s ongoing commitment to furthering Anita’s vision, Google is proud to honor Anita’s memory and support women in technology with the Women Techmakers Scholars Program (formerly the Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship).
Through the scholarship, Google aims to encourage women to excel in computing and technology and become active role models and leaders.
What You Need To Know about The Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program
All scholarship recipients will be invited to attend the annual Women Techmakers Scholars’ Retreat in summer 2018 to connect with fellow scholars, network with Googlers and participate in a number of workshops.
Level / Field of Study:
Scholarships are available to study Undergraduate, Masters, Ph.D. programs in the following fields Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
The scholarship is being taken in Universities in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. If you are an international student and you wish to study in the U.K, this is for you Complete Guide to Getting A UK Tier 4 Student Visa For International Students.
This scholarship is available for Women from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Read also if you wish to study outside your home country Simple and Detailed Answers about Applying and Winning a Scholarship.
- The scholarship recipients will each receive a €7,000 (or equivalent) scholarship.
- A retreat opportunity to connect with fellow scholars and Google mentors, while participating in professional and personal development training and workshops.
- An online network with fellow scholars program participants designed to share resources, support the global community of women in tech and collaborate on projects to make a continued impact.
The Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program Eligibility:
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Currently, be enrolled at an accredited university for the 2018-2019 academic year
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time or part-time student in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. program at a university in Europe, Middle East or Africa for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering, informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
- Demonstrate a strong academic record
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate a passion for increasing the involvement of women in Computer Science
Selection Criteria: Multiple scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of candidates’ academic performance, leadership experience and demonstrated a passion for computer science.
How to Apply For The Google Women Techmakers Scholars Program
- The Women Techmakers Scholarship is a one-time scholarship. While past applicants and finalists are encouraged to reapply, unfortunately, past recipients of any Google scholarship, including the Women Techmakers Scholarship and Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, are not eligible to apply. Complete the online application and submit all requested documents by 6th December 2018. The following application documents must be in English.
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institutions)
- Current resume
- Academic transcripts from your current and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
- One letter of reference from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to five essay questions