DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), as a publicly funded, self-governing organization of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes.
As part of the „ /In-Region Scholarship Programme,” DAAD offers scholarships for PhD studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
The target group for scholarships is postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa (excluding South Africa) with a Master’s degree who want to pursue PhD courses in South Africa (In-Region scholarships). It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) by offering up to six In-Region Scholarships for PhD studies at AIMS for the intake 2019.
The scholarship covers tuition fees, research and study allowance, printing allowance, accommodation and feeding
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
- clearly show motivation and a strong commitment
- have a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Saharan African Country, excluding South Africa
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector
DEADLINE: November 15, 2018
To apply and for more information visit here