Deadline: February 12, 2019
Calling students and young professionals! Applications for the Breakthrough Generation Fellowship 2019 are now open! Breakthrough Generation is an initiative in the Breakthrough Institute’s research program, founded in 2008 to foster the development of a new generation of thinkers and writers capable of finding pragmatic new solutions to today’s greatest challenges in the areas of energy, economy, and environment.
Each summer, Breakthrough seeks five to ten outstanding young analysts, writers, and thought leaders for the Breakthrough Generation Fellowship. Fellows will contribute writing and research to one of their three main issue areas at the Breakthrough Institute: Energy, Conservation, or Food & Farming. Fellowships are highly competitive — only 5-10 percent of applicants are generally accepted — and involve cutting-edge writing, research, and public policy analysis.
The first two weeks of the summer are dedicated to Breakthrough Bootcamp, an intellectual crash course involving intensive reading, writing, and an expert lecture series designed to provide a grounding in the broad-spectrum thinking that informs Breakthrough’s policy agenda. Topics covered include modernization theory, social psychology, aspirational politics and philosophy, economics and innovation policy, and technology policy.
Breakthrough Generation 2019 fellowships will take place mid-June to mid-August 2019. The first two weeks will be dedicated to Breakthrough Bootcamp, an intellectual crash course in Breakthrough’s history and research.
- The fellowship runs for ten weeks between June and August and pays $600 per week.
- Fellows work 40 hours per week and may be considered for full-time employment at the end of the fellowship.
- Breakthrough does not provide housing.
- Final-year undergraduates, college graduates, and postgraduates are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
- Fellowships are open to applicants from any country.
- You will need to provide your basic information, a cover letter, resume or CV, references, and three writing samples (see details about these below).
- All uploaded documents must be in PDF format.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information, visit Generation Fellowship.