The fellowship supports outstanding individuals developing open culture in their communities under adverse circumstances. Organized by Creative Commons, Mozilla, the Wikimedia Foundation, the Jimmy Wales Foundation, #NEWPALMYRA, and others, the fellowship is part of a three-year commitment to promote the values important to Bassel’s work and life: open culture, radical sharing, free knowledge, remix, collaboration, courage, optimism, and humanity.
Fellows are expected to lead projects or initiatives that will catalyze free culture, particularly in societies vulnerable to attacks on freedom of expression and free access to knowledge. Special consideration will be given to applicants operating within closed societies and in developing economies where other forms of support are scarce.
Fellows will receive:
- A stipend of $50,000 USD, paid in 10 monthly installments.
- A one-time health insurance supplement for Fellows and their families, ranging from $2,000 for single Fellows to $4,000 for a couple with two or more children.
- An allowance of up to $1,500 towards the purchase of laptop computer, digital cameras, recorders and computer software; fees for continuing studies or other courses, research fees or payments, to the extent such purchases and fees are related to the fellowship.
- Coverage in full for all approved fellowship trips, including domestic and international travel.
The Bassel Khartabil Free Culture Fellowship is open to individuals and small teams worldwide, who:
- Propose a viable new initiative to advance free culture values as outlined in the call for applicants above,
- Demonstrate a history of activism in the Open Source, Open Access, Free Culture or Sharing communities, and
- Are prepared to focus on the fellowship as their primary work.
- We welcome applicants from a wide range of disciplines and practices, including but not limited to researchers and scholars, technologists, artists and musicians, community organizers, engineers, advocates and activists.
DEADLINE: March 24 2018
To apply and for more information visit here