Commonwealth Medical Fellowships are for mid-career medical staff from low and middle-income countries, to enhance their clinical skills.
Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth Medical Fellowships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development. These fellowships are offered under the second of the CSC’s six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)
- Research support grant, payable to your host university hospital
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,627 per month, or £2,019 per month for those at university hospitals in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2017-2018 levels)
- Reimbursement of the fee for a single English language test and the fee for General Medical Council (GMC) registration
- Warm clothing allowance
- Study travel grant towards the costs of approved travel within the UK
- If candidate is widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £457 per month for the first child, and £112 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if they are accompanied by your children and they are living with candidate at the same address in the UK
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be employed by a hospital affiliated to a university
- Be available to start your fellowship in the UK in January 2019
- Have qualified as a doctor between 1 October 2008 and 30 September 2011, or before 1 October 2003
- Have qualified at a medical school recognised by the World Directory of Medical Schools
- Have met the English language requirements of the General Medical Council (GMC) by 31 August 2018
Eligible Regions: Bangladesh, Cameroon,The Gambia ,Ghana ,India ,Kenya ,Malawi ,Mozambique ,Nigeria ,Pakistan ,Papua New Guinea ,Rwanda ,Samoa ,Sierra Leone ,South Africa ,Sri Lanka ,Tanzania ,Uganda ,Vanuatu ,Zambia
- Selected universities/medical colleges that are invited to nominate members of staff at affiliated hospitals. For a full list of eligible nominating bodies, visit the official website.
- In Bangladesh, India, and Sri Lanka, the national University Grants Commission
- In Pakistan, the Higher Education
All applications must be made through a nominating body in the home country. Each nominating body is responsible for its own selection process. Applicant must check with their nominating body for their specific advice and rules for applying, and for their own closing date for applications.
Applicants must make their application using the CSC’s application system. The application must be submitted to and endorsed by one of the eligible nominating bodies listed above.
The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the CSC’s application system to a nominating body in the home country.
Application Deadline: May 21, 2018 (5 Days Remaining)